Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Home Work


The hubby has complained about the fact that the faux wooden blinds that came with the house does not do a good enough job of blocking out the light since we moved in over 2 years ago.  I found a "Fabric Outlet" store in Santa Ana last week on Bristol that sell fabrics for home decor at $1 - $6.99 per yard.  That's a steal compared to Joann's.  I picked up this lovely cream and gray heavy weight fabric at $2/yd.  I'll make simple curtians to hang with clips in our room.  I also picked up a curtian rod for $24.99 in brushed silver to go with the hardware on our bedroom furniture.  What ever is left over I'll use to make some pillow covers.

I came across another blog this week that I will be visiting on a regular basis - Centsational Girl.  She's got great ideas for the home.  I love this DIY tutorial for a padded head board and this one for a roman shade.

I've been reading online that black out curtians are great for not only keeping the light out but also insulating.  I've got old 70s metal windows that are far from energy efficient, but don't have the budget to upgrade them yet.  The Piggie does not like blankets...so we have her sleep in blanket sleepers.  But these days she no longer wants to be in her toddler bed and opts for the day bed that's right up against the window.  I purchased some black out curtian at $4.99/yd (seemed like a good deal) at the same fabric store mentioned above.  The problem is that it's 2 inches shy of covering the window once hung on clips.  I was struggling on if I should make a complete new set of curtians and line them with the black out, but once I priced out the cost of the fabric...I decided I needed another alternative.  Solution:  I used some left over fabric from another project and attached 7 inches across the top of the panel.  I hung it with clips.  It just looks like any other white curtian with a brown strip across the top.  During the day we pull the curtians all the way to one side.

No comments: