Sunday, September 4, 2011

Multi-Grain Blueberry Muffins


I got my most recent copy of Real Simple magazine in the mail a couple days ago. While thumbing through, I came across this Multi-Grain Blueberry muffin. It only has 189 calories per muffin and can keep in the freezer for up to 1 month. So I made a batch last night and they were delicious. I had most of the ingredients in my pantry, I just had to get some plain non fat yogurt and frozen blueberries. It worked out to be $0.40 per muffin.

I was planning to link the recipe from Real Simple Magazine, but they haven't posted it yet, so here it is:
1 1/4 C whole wheat flour, spooned & leveled
1 C old fashion rolled oats
1/4 C flaxseed meal
1/4 C pecans (I didn't use nuts in mine)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt (I used TJs sea salt)
1 C plain non fat yogurt
1/2 C packed light brown sugar
3 Tsp unsalted melted butter
1 T grated orange zest, plus 1/4 C orange juice
1 lg egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 C fresh blueberries or one 8-oz bag frozen blueberries.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.  In a food processor, process flour, oats, flaxseed meal, pecans, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until finely ground.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt, sugar, butter, orange zest & juice, egg, and vanilla.  Add the flour mixture & mix until incorporated.  Fold in blueberries.

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.  Bake until tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 22-25 mins.

Muffins will keep at room temp for 3 days, and in freezer for 1 month - warm in mircowave 1-2 mins



I added 1/2 tsp of almond extract in a second batch and it makes it even more kid friendly.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: