Monday, January 9, 2012

Caring for Your Engagement and Wedding Rings

source
This was the topic of a recent email I got from Martha Stewart - I'm still on the wedding daily email subscription since my sister got married earlier this year.  I was particularly interested in the cleaning of your jewelry section:

Clean Your Ring
To keep your ring sparkling, clean it often to remove lotions, skin oil, and everyday dirt, which cloud it. (1) You can soak the ring in warm water and mild dishwashing liquid, and scrub with a soft toothbrush, says Tracy Lantz, associate director of public relations at the Diamond Information Center. Or (2) soak it in equal parts ammonia and cold water for half an hour, and let it air dry. Any brand-name jewelry cleaner is another good option.

I tried both options on my stud earrings.  They were in dire need of a cleaning.  I found that the ammonia concoction was far more effective than diswashing liquid.  All the yucky grime simply melted off into the solution.  Awesome!

No comments: