Monday, August 24, 2009

Baby Crib Bumper

In search of baby boy bedding, I decided to make my own. I really didn't like anything at the retail stores. What's being mass produced is just to kiddie for me. Plus they want a fortune for poor quality. The ones I do like at boutique stores, I can't justify paying $300+. Then I cam to realization that in Amy Butler's Little Stitches, there's a pattern for a modern crib set.
I spent a couple days scouring the Internet for other patterns to for ideas. Then after a couple trips to the fabric store, Joann's and M&L, I had a better idea of what I wanted to do. With the help of my sister, we picked out a nice print pattern for the interior and the exterior multi-tone cotton pique. The pique really adds to the luxurious feel to the end result. I added a grosgrain brown ribbon and piping to finish it off.
Although the pattern is based on Amy Butler's, I basically used her pattern as a guide and made up the rest on my own. Initially, there was no intention to make the ties out of the same interior fabric, but I didn't buy enough ribbon to go all the way around. I was too anxious to finish the project over the weekend and didn't want to have to go back to the store to pick up the shortage. In the end, I think it looks better this way.
Basically my pattern consists of:
2 - 55 x 11 3/4 panels for the interior front & back
2 - 27 1/2 x 11 3/4 panels for the interior sides
2 - 2 1/2 packets of piping
16 - 2 x 22 strips for ties
2 - 2 x 4 strips for loops to hold together
2 - 55 x 8 yellow pique for front & back
2 - 55 x 3 3/4 white pique for front & back
2 - 27 1/2 x 8 yellow pique for sides
2 - 27 1/2 x 8 white pique for sides
4 yards of brown grosgrain ribbon - I was short and didn't add ribbon to the back panel. I'd probably need 5.5 - 6 yrds to include it.
1 package of baby bumper pads from Nu Foam - I ordered it online at Joann's.

1. Sew all interior panels together. Long, short, long, short with 1/2 seam. Press seams open
2. Sew yellow and white pique together with 1/2 seam. Press seams open
3. Attach ribbon onto each panel centered on the exterior seam where the 2 tones meet.
4. Attach exterior panels together, long short, long, short with 1/2 seam, press seams open - make sure you align the ribbon at the seam.
5. Iron and fold strips into bias and stitch along the opening. Or use ribbon or pre-made bias tape instead for ties.
6. Pin interior and exterior panels together - right sides facing each other. Pin pipping in between the 2 with piping cord inside the right sides. Pin ties at seams inside the panels and at 27 1/2 inches on the long panels. My crib has a decorative panel in the middle, so I measured to the spindle in the middle next to it. Pin loop on to one side panel top & bottom.
7. Sew the top, 1 side and bottom. Top along the piping - use the zipper foot, side (loop side) and bottom with 1 inch seam.
8. Attach ties on the open side panel and stitch top and bottom leaving 5 inch opening.
9. Turn inside out - your bumper is almost done.
10. Stuff and position panels of foam and you're done. I left the opening as is because I want to be able to take out the foam and wash the cover. You can choose to blind hand stitch it close.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: